The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) has published its first set of guidance materials to aid the public, and especially the small business community, in understanding the beneficial ownership information (BOI) reporting requirements which will take effect on January 1, 2024.
The Corporate Transparency Act (CTA) established uniform BOI reporting requirements for certain types of corporations, limited liability companies, and other similar entities created in or registered to do business in the United States. New FinCEN regulations require these entities to report to FinCEN information about their “beneficial owners”—the persons who ultimately own or control the company.
In an effort to make the process as simple as possible, particularly for small businesses who may have never heard of or interacted with FinCEN before, FinCEN has placed several items on its BOI reporting webpage (https://www.fincen.gov/boi), including:
- answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the reporting requirement;
- a Key Filing Dates document;
- a one-page document covering a few Key Questions on the BOI requirement;
- a link to an introductory video; and
- a link to a more detailed video about the BOI requirement.
In the coming months, FinCEN expects to publish additional guidance on the BOI webpage, including a Small Entity Compliance Guide.