San Francisco, California – March 1, 2019. Safe Harbor LLP, considered one of the best accounting and CPA firms in San Francisco for expat tax return preparation, is proud to announce a new post to its blog entitled, “Income Tax Issues to Consider When Moving from Canada to the US.”

Expat Tax Return Preparation in California for Canadians

Photo credit: free pictures of money via / CC BY

Timed for release as US residents are feverishly preparing their own tax returns, the post helps Canadian citizens and residents understand some of the tax issues should they reside, even if temporarily, in the United States of America.

“As one of the best-in-class CPA firms in California for international tax issues, we see more than our share of expat tax return preparation issues,” explained Chun Wong, Managing Partner at Safe Harbor LLP. “Perhaps the most common expat tax return we encounter is one for a Canadian citizen or resident who also works in the Bay Area. They need to be very careful when dealing with their dual taxation issues, in both the USA and Canada. Our post helps inform them of some key issues.”

To read the post, visit Persons who need information on expat tax return preparation can visit the informational page at As tax deadlines approach for both businesses and individuals here in the USA, any Canadian citizen or resident who has income in the USA is urged to reach out immediately for a consultation. No two situations are the same and the first step is a confidential consultation with an accountant versed in tax issues in both countries. It should be noted as well that the accounting firm also prepares many expat tax returns for citizens or residents of other countries such as China, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom, etc.


Here is background on this release. The booming Bay Area economy is drawing labor from not just around California or the USA, but around the global. San Francisco is truly a global city with a global workforce, and many Canadian citizens or residents are flocking to San Francisco to participate in the tech boom. In addition, California is not that far from West Coast Canadian cities like Vancouver which are also heavy participants in the global economy. Many San Franciscans, therefore, have one foot in both countries. They often have citizenship in Canada, property in the USA or Canada, and income in both countries. Some are employees, receiving income as paychecks, while others are business people who might own a business in California and British Columbia, for example. Still others might have real estate or rental property but reside long-term in the USA. There are many scenarios.

What is common, however, is that having one foot in both countries can cause major tax headaches. The person needs an international tax accounting firm that understands expat tax return preparation and can help to work with a foreign-based accountant if necessary. For these reasons, the new post overviews some of the tax issues that might be present for a Canadian resident or citizen who has USA-based income. Only a one-on-one consultation, however, can really get into the details. Interested persons are thus urged not only to consult the post but to reach out for a consultation immediately.


Safe Harbor LLP is a CPA firm that specializes in accounting and tax services for individuals and businesses throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and greater California. Safe Harbor CPAs helps both individuals and businesses with tax preparation, IRS audit defense, and audited financial statements. The firm prides itself on friendly yet professional service and utilizes state-of-the-art Internet technology to provide quality customer service.

Safe Harbor CPA

Tel. 415.742.4249

Photo credit: free pictures of money via / CC BY